Tuesday, November 11, 2008
8:31 PM | Posted by
Stacey Stafford |
Edit Post
I know I actually chose to go back to school and I knew what I was getting into, blah, blah, blah... but ya know what? I'm tired of studying! I know I shouldn't complain, I'm still soooo thankful I was accepted into this program, and again, I chose to do this BUT I'm tired of studying! Okay, now that that's out... I really do love this program! I got the opportunity to go to Sparta recently and work with some low income kids, and I LOVED it. I never thought I would want to work with kids (ya know, small mouths, big attitudes) and especially not low income kids who probably haven't bathed in quite awhile, whose parents don't care enough to teach them any hygiene, oral or other, but, this trip changed all that. These little kids look up at you like you KNOW things, like you have all the answers.... yikes! I just loved teaching them how to improve their lives. We put a floride varnish on their teeth and at the end of the day you knew you actually made a difference in their little lives. You're probably thinking, yeah, okay kids have pretty good teeth, they go see the dentist all the time etc.... But not these kids. I saw children who actually made me cry. Some of these kids had half their teeth just gone, and not because they were losing their baby teeth, but because they just rotted out of their mouth. Some had teeth that were only half there, the other half nowhere to be found. One child wouldn't open her mouth because her teeth caused her so much pain. So, yeah at the end of the day we KNEW we had made a difference. I loved it, I want to work with these kids! I want to see those innocent little eyes looking up at me, trusting me when I say I won't hurt them, believing me even through their obvious fear... depending on ME. Wow, what an amazing feeling!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing that story. I enjoy hearing about your life cause sometimes when we are together we get started on one story and end up on a completely different one in 5 minutes. We need to learn to FOCUS! (:
Yah! I'm so glad you have a blog. I've been telling Amber that you need to start one. I think it's amazing that you are going back to school. There are very few people out there who have a dream and actually follow it. You're doing great things, keep it up. Also, can't wait to read more.
Post a Comment