Saturday, June 19, 2010
Well, I've had a busy week! I finally got my license on Thursday!! I was sooo excited. They send you a big certificate along with a card license. I'm definitely going to frame that big one. I worked my butt off for that thing! I called the owner of the temp. agency that I'm working for and told her that I'm now available to work! I'm not quite sure that the temp thing is going to work out. It kinda seems like she's not going to be able to give me as many hours as I want. I guess we'll just wait and see. I'll definitely spend next week sending out resumes to every dentist I can find!

I also spent a lot of time getting ready for my garage sale. I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but those things are A LOT of work! First I had to go through all my crap and find what I wanted to sell. Luckily, I've been planning this garage sale for a long time, so I've just been throwing stuff in a pile as I've found it. That decreased the amount of time I had to spend looking through closets and under beds. I also invited about everyone I know to put their crap in the sale too. This worked out well for everybody, because they got to sell some stuff and my sale looked bigger. I really think garage sales do better when you have more stuff out.

I owe a HUGE thank you to Mom, Grandma Sue and Alicia for helping me with all this! I would not have been able to do it all myself. They sat out in the heat (and by heat I mean just a shade short of hotter than the fires of hell) all day with me and then helped to drag everything in and out of the garage. Mom also helped me pack up everything that didn't sell and hauled it to her house to put in her garage sale. We also packed up some clothing to donate to goodwill. I try not to be offended when other people don't want to pay me for my cast~off, old clothing (see previous post about Plato's Closet) but sometimes the hurt runs a little deep. I'm pretty sure that Alicia felt the same pain/irritation/indignation about her rejected clothes too. I mean, we're not selling used underwear here people!

I think the best moment of the entire affair came when a dirty old man (and when I say dirty, I'm not indicating the amount of filth clinging to him, though there was plenty of that) came up and started talking all smooth to us. He certainly felt he had quite a bit to offer in the handsome man/good husband category. He offered to sell me the dirty poodle~ish dog that followed him over. I kindly informed him that I had two of my own inside and wasn't interested. His response? "Well, I bet my dog can out drink your dogs!" I was unaware that people competed in the dog~drinking arena, so I acquiesced on that point. Apparently he had gotten the dog at an AA meeting. I'm not making that up either, he actually told us that. I'm pretty sure he thought this was a point in his favor. Ya know, so we understood that he had overcome his demons and was a good catch now.

He then turned to my mom and pointed to my grandma and said, "She sure is cute, she single?" It was hilarious!! Mom had the most horrified look on her face as she said, "That's my mother!" Then he told grandma that he was lookin' for hisself a good woman. Grandma didn't even bother to look up as she said, "Well, good luck!"

The man finally left after that. Guess he figured we didn't know a good thing when we saw it. Grandma threatened my life if I told anyone about it, so if I turn up dead, you know where to look!

All in all, we did well. Cody and I made about $400, so it was worth the heat and work. I also got rid of a bunch of stuff that's been laying around my house. Hopefully that money will go towards the down payment on a new house!

So, I've finished school, received my license, and completed my garage sale. I'm ready to begin working now! Hopefully I'll get some hours soon....