Friday, July 31, 2009
I have always loved my sister. She was my very first friend, chosen not by me, but by God; and what a wonderful choice He made. I love the quote I choose to title this blog because it really describes the way I view my relationship with my sister. She was given to me by God; here to walk with me through the stormy days as well as the sunny ones. I can only hope that I’m half the sister to her that she is to me.

When we were younger, Amber was my playmate, role model and sometimes (though this title was more often given to Brad) my tormentor. As we grew, I constantly found myself watching Amber to see what she did, what she liked, how she decorated her room. I always loved whatever she did and tried my best to mimic it. I rarely did as well as she did. To this day, I still find myself seeking out her opinion on how to decorate my house, how to handle a problem with friends, or simply why my crazy mind works the way it does.

These last few years Amber and I have grown very close. I can’t say she is my best friend, because she is more than that. I can’t say she is just my sister, because that simply implies a blood tie. She is somewhere, somehow, a combination of both. A person so close to my heart, I think she can feel what I’m thinking before I say it.

In the last couple of days I’ve had to consider what life would be like without my sister. That thought was something to devastating to even dwell on for more than a second. Thinking of her being sick made my heart hurt in ways I can never put into words. My mind simply could not go there. Thankfully, after several days of worry, we received the wonderful news that she would be okay. It was like a cloud had been lifted from my life. Many people say that good can come from such circumstances because it makes people realize how much someone means to them. But, for me, I already knew how special she was, I didn’t need anything to “show” me that.

Amber and I have many great memories together and I am so glad that many more years lay ahead. As my mom once said of her daughters, “she is my sister, no relationship, no friendship can be more precious than that. Friends can come and go, friends can move on and be forgotten, but not so with sisters. She can never come too often, nor stay away too long to become unwelcome. I can love and like things about her as I would a friend, but most important: she is my sister.”

Love you Amber.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Love you too Stacey and I'm so very thankful we're sisters and friends.

Julie said...

Sweet blog! That was a few scary days for me too. I am so thankful for the outcome!

Unknown said...

I have one sister as you do and I can totally identify with this blog. Though we may be several years apart in age, and likely to have our snappy moments and disagreements, I wouldn't trade her for any other sister in the world. It was meant to be. Sisters definitely have a bond that is, most times. indescribable. My sister won't ever even see this comment, but she doesn't have to to know that I love her in a way that I love no one else. I am the younger sister as well, and although sometimes it was a burden to have come after her (she can be a tough act to follow) I am the ying to her yang and for us, it just works. Sisters are awesome! =) Oh, and P..S. I think your sister is pretty cool too.