Wednesday, August 10, 2011






Today you turned 5 months old! I can't believe it (I think I have said that each month, and I'm sure I will continue to say it!) You have changed so much this past month. It is such fun to watch you grow and learn new things. You are getting your own little personality, which is mainly sweet and happy, but has a small streak of stubbornness mixed in (that must be from daddy's side!) You are learning to use your voice and love to practice different sounds as loud as you can. There are many nights when you join me as I try to sing you to sleep. I love to hear that little voice singing along with me!

You are becoming much more aware of what is going on around you, too. You get so excited when people talk to you and you always talk back. You chat away to the dogs whenever you can see them, and you love to talk to your toys. Your favorite toys are your little pink doll that hangs from your play-gym, your nursery rhyme book (that broke the other day!) and another little cloth book that has crinkle paper inside it. You grab for them and immediately put them in your mouth. Your toes are also a favorite. I will never forget the day you first tried getting them into your mouth. They wouldn't quite reach and you just couldn't figure out what the hold up was!

You LOVE to be outside, and that is still your favorite place to be. You are becoming a little frustrated with life these days, because you are more aware of what is going on around you, but still unable to participate in most things. When you are laid on your tummy you will pull your knees up under you like you're trying to crawl. Unfortunately, you don't know what to do with your arms yet and you usually end up face planting into the floor. It won't be long until you figure it all out though. Auntie Amber swears you're gonna be an early crawler!

You can now grab toys with both hands, or just one. You also can bring things to your mouth, which is where almost everything ends up! You are constantly taking your nuk out and then putting it back in.

You are working on sitting by yourself. You haven't quite gotten there yet, but are close. You are also very close to rolling from your back to your tummy. You usually have no desire to be on your tummy, and I'm sure this is the reason you haven't accomplished the task yet. I know you are capable of it because you were on your tummy one day when I got you up from your nap even though I had laid you down on your back.

You are still mainly breastfed with a bottle of formula each night before you go to sleep. You usually drink formula while I'm at work because I can't pump enough breastmilk for you. You are very interested in real food these days and I'm getting ready to start you on some rice cereal. The doctor says to wait until you are 6 months, but I'm starting a little early because I think you are ready.

I think you are very close to cutting a tooth. You chew on everything and just sit and gnaw on your nuk. You really like when I rub your gums with my finger. The past couple of nights have been rough, and I think it's because your teeth are hurting. And though I check every day, I still haven't felt a little tooth poke up yet!

I'm not sure how much you weigh these days because we haven't had a doctor's visit since you were four months old. You have gained quite a bit by the feel of you though! You are getting to be a little chunky! You are outgrowing clothes very quickly.

You fit nicely into 3-6 month onsies, but need a 6-9 month sleeper. I think this is because you are so long and the sleepers have feet in them. You wear a size 2 diaper and your socks are all too small now. I will have to go up a size in those.

We are working on getting you back to a good schedule. We had a great one until you got a cold, and then things got all messed up. Right now you wake up around 6-7 and eat. You'll eat again around 10:00, 1:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 8:00. You normally fall asleep between 8-9pm. You are currently waking up to eat twice a night, which I am trying to get down to once a night again. Before you were sick you only woke up once a night, which was great! You take two 30 minute naps in the morning and an hour and a half nap in the afternoon.

You are doing much better about being in your car seat, but still have some bad car rides. You love to watch Anna and Parker or any other child you are around. You have your mommy and daddy wrapped around your little finger and we couldn't love you anymore than we already do!


A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.
~ John 16:21

1 comments:

Beth Stafford said...

Omg! Could post-pregnancy hormones still be effecting me? I wanted to cry reading this! They grow up and change SO fast! Katelyn, your Aunt Beth, Uncle JJ, Parker and Preston love you so much! We are so glad to have a little princess in our family! :)