Monday, April 11, 2011
Well, needless to say, this post is a long time coming! I've been crazy busy lately, but hopefully now I'll be able to blog a little more often. I'll try to catch everybody up on the last couple of months.

On March 10, 2011 at 12:16pm we were blessed with the birth of our daughter, Katelyn Grace Stafford. We were thrilled to finally meet this tiny little bundle! Here's the story of her birth:

Labor was induced at 6:30am on March 10th. I progressed very quickly and by 11:30 I was 10cm dialated. I began pushing at 11:45. Things went well until about the last 10 minutes of labor. We were told that Katelyn's heartrate was decreasing and we needed to deliver her immediately. The doctor came in and assisted the delivery with a vacuum. Katelyn was born entirely blue due to her cord becoming compressed during delivery. She was immediately taken to the NICU and remained there for 5 days.

We were able to bring our baby home on March 14th. It felt so good to be able to bring her into our home; we were finally a family! Mom stayed with us for a couple of weeks, helping us adjust to life with a newborn. Those first weeks were hard, but it felt so good to hold and cuddle my little baby.

The first couple of months of Katelyn's life were a little difficult for her and us. When she was about two months old, she was diagnosed with GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease. This means the sphincter muscled between her stomach and esophagus isn't developed enough to close completely and keep the food in her stomach from reentering her esophagus. Babies with GERD have a lot of pain and discomfort. I hated having to watch Katelyn go through so much pain when she was so little.

We put Katelyn on Zantac in order to help control her reflux. She immediately started improving. We still have some trouble with tummy pains, but she is sooo much better than she was! Now if we can just get this little girl to sleep!

Today, Katelyn is 3 1/2 months old and getting her own little personality. We love playing and laughing with her. She definitely recognizes familiar faces, especially mommy and daddy. She smiles and coos and loves to be talked to. She has smiled since day one, but she was 6 weeks old when she smiled just for me. She learned to roll over from her tummy to her back at 3 months. And now she can roll over both to the left and right consistently. She almost always insists on being held upright so she can see the world around her. She is becoming a happy and content little baby.

I will try to be better about updating this so that Katelyn can go back one day and read about the first years of her life. I might steal Ashley's idea of writing a blog to Katelyn every month and telling her what she's up to and how she has grown that month. I love reading Ashley's blogs to Greyson, so I hope everyone will enjoy reading my blogs to Katelyn. I guess this blog will have to count for the first 3 months!!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Please "steal" my ideas as I "stole" them from another. I'm missing me some Stacey and Katelyn and it keeps me informed. I think you will be very happy to have have the ''details" of what happened in about 30 years when you can't remember exactly. Love the update!

Beth Stafford said...

Yay for the update! So glad sweet Katelyn is in our family. With us having two boys, we will try hard to make a tomboy out of Katelyn. hehehe! Can't wait to get them all together. And, yes, I would love to read your blog to Katelyn. Wonderful idea!

Amber said...

You should let me write a guest blog to baby Katelyn from her Auntie Amber who loves her so much!